Hepatitis Liver disease:
There are over 100 different forms of liver disease that affect men, women and children.
The liver is one of the most important organs of the body, as it performs numerous functions in the body. One of the main function of the liver is breaking down and disposing of toxic substances from the body. If these toxins are not expelled properly due to the inefficiency of the liver they are simply reabsorbed. This in turn leads to various severe complications including cancer. Here are some of the common liver diseases you should be aware of –
- Fatty liver : Fatty liver simply means accumulation of fat in the liver. Fatty liver disease can be divided into 2 types – alcohol related and non-alcohol related. Fatty liver disease is a silent medical condition, which means there are usually no symptoms. In such cases, the disease is identified from routine health check up indicating fatty liver with ultrasound, CT scan or MRI of the abdomen.
- Hepatitis : Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver, most commonly caused by a viral infection. There are five main hepatitis viruses, referred to as types A, B, C, D and E. These five types are of greatest concern because of the burden of illness and death they cause and the potential for outbreaks and epidemic spread. Hepatitis refers to inflammation of the liver. But it is mainly used to address a life threatening condition caused due to viral infection of the liver.
- Hepatitis A :According to the WHO globally there are about 1.4 million cases of hepatitis A every year. It is caused by Hepatitis A virus (HAV) that is transmitted through contaminated food and water.
- Hepatitis B :The condition is caused by Hepatitis B virus (HBV). HBV is mainly transmitted due to transfusion of infected blood or exposure to infected semen and other body fluids. For more info symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of hepatitis B.
- Hepatitis C :It is caused by Hepatitis C virus (HCV), mostly transmitted by exposure to infected blood, transfusion contaminated blood and blood products, usage of contaminated injections during medical procedures, and through injected drugs. For more info about hepatitis C.
- Cirrhosis : Cirrhosis of liver is among the top 10 causes of death in the world according to CDC (Centre for disease control and prevention).As the liver performs a variety of important functions in the body, it is extremely vulnerable to a variety of metabolic, toxic, microbial, circulatory and cancerous insults. One such complications of liver is cirrhosis or scarring of the liver. It is the end phase of chronic liver disease that damages the liver completely. The scar tissue slowly replaces the healthy tissue of the liver thereby preventing the organ from functioning properly. The long-term effect of tissue scarring in the liver is liver failure.
Send me Islamic Knowledge
May Allah increase your Knowledge
Something went wrong.